May 10, 2011

DAY 161: May 9

Hey Everyone!

   It was great talking to you all yesterday! It somehow seems like I just talked to you the other day, but somehow like its been forever! Its interesting how much more communication you can get in a short amount of time on the phone than through an email or a letter! I was thinking about what I would write today, because I talked to you and told you a bunch of stories last night. But, I guess I had my first real "Im not sure if I can eat that" on Saturday. We went to our investigators, Guillermo, house for dinner and a lesson afterward. They are the ones waiting on the divorce from Honduras. They are Garifunas, which is this race of people that came from africa, so their language is a mix between an indigenous African dialect, some French, and some Spanish, and apparently difficult to learn. They've taught us a few things. I'll share them if you like:  "Ida bina", (how are you doing) "Ka biri" (whats your name) "ayo" (goodbye) and "Neigi badiwu dimas" (see you next sunday). Along with their language, they cook interesting food. We had this rice and bean dish that had cocoa in it, which was actually pretty good, and: fish heads. She brought out a plate with the rice, a side salad, and a fish head and set it down, and I thought, alright, Ill just pass this to Elder Christensen then I'll get the other half. Then she came out with another plate for him with another fish head. I was informed afterward that Elder Christensen was inwardly rejoicing about me receiving the fish head and him hopefully getting the other half. But, once you peeled the skin off, it was actually pretty good. A little weird to be eating a fish head, but it wasn't bad.

   We have had some cool teaching experiences as well. As I mentioned on the phone, there's always a lot of hesitancy, sometimes forceful opposition, to accept anything besides the Bible as scripture. Most people here in the south are raised on just the Bible, and that doesn't exclude hispanics. Even though most of them have come from other countries, many of them have very strong "faith" in the Bible. I put "faith" in quotes because it seems that all they have is faith in the Bible, not in God and his love for us. Even after thoroughly explaining the Book of Mormon, where it comes from, and why we would have it, people still tell us "well... where does it talk about this book in the Bible?" An interesting question I ask some of them in return is "Where does it talk about the Bible in the Bible?"  And that usually catches them a little off-guard. But, several times last week we've had people who are ready and willing to listen, and have clearly been prepared by the lord to listen to this wonderful message. One lady actually already knew about the apocrypha, and was totally open to the fact that there could be other scripture. One guy we talked to had met with missionaries in Honduras and was really interested in the Book of Mormon. Its cool to see that some people are really open and some are really not, but, theres only so much we can do to help open their minds a little bit for them to receive the message.

   Well, its time for me to go, but Its been great to hear from all of you and I hope you have a great day!!

-Cam

No comments:

Post a Comment