Feb 12, 2012

DAY 426: JANUARY 30

So this week we had some cool opportunities to teach and preach and work as missionaries do. Also, to eat. My companion got a gift card for IHOP, so we got to eat some good food that we didn't have to make ourselves! which is nice because I ran out of money quite early this month. Also, we usually do a weekly potluck with our district meeting, so we all eat afterwards and its hit or miss sometimes. I usually bring something good, but some elders I am astonished at the tiny level of cooking creativity they have achieved after having been in the mission for so long. Chips? we told you three days in advance. Really? Apparently they spent ten bucks. So did the other elders, and they brought carne asada, a much wiser way to invest if you ask me.

 
So, we had 3 people with us at church, which was great. We had Juan, who I think I have mentioned before, he almost got baptized the same time as Juan Carlos, but backed because of some doubts about what his family will say. He really does understand everything (I think) He said he believes that Joseph Smith was a prophet, but isn't sure about the book of Mormon being true or not (seems a little backwards), and even came to stake conference 2 weeks ago. Did I share about that? It was pretty cool. Our stake president shared a cool story of when he was a boy and went horseback riding with his friends on a Sunday, and as he was putting on the bridle or something, the horse got spooked and jumped, and tore off half of one of his fingers. So he always has the reminder of the importance of keeping the sabbath day holy. Another elder and I did the translation, I've decided I like translating from English into Spanish rather than vice versa. Because when I'm listening in English, I don't have to think at all about what I hear. I understand its full meaning right off, and I can put it into Spanish really quick. But with Spanish, though I understand what people are saying right off, putting into English words is weird. I guess I don't really know why one is easier than the other, but so it is. So anyways, pray for Juan Padilla that he can receive answers to his prayers.

 
On exchanges, I got to visit one of the other missionaries investigators, who is actually from Brazil, and speaks pretty good Spanish, and used to be a professional musician in Brazil. He had a guitar and a little piano at his place, and it was a BLAST to jam with him. Excellent musician. I have very limited vocab on explaining musical stuff in Spanish, on the few occasions where I have needed it. All I could really say was the note names. And not really even that because in Spanish they usually just say the "do re mi" pattern instead of letters. I taught him some American style music with the 12 bar blues, and we had some fun on that.

Well, that's about it, hope to hear from y'all soon!


Love,
Elder Cardon

P.S. Well yes, you can write me a letter!

Elder Cam Cardon
1343 Jade Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 70810

No comments:

Post a Comment