Feb 12, 2012

DAY 433: FEBRUARY 6

Well, this week seemed pretty normal. I never really know what to highlight or expound on, because it seems we do the same thing, and you've all heard it before. Is it not so? We found these two really cool ladies, a mother and daughter. They have been taught just a bit before by missionaries, and one of them works with the branch president of our branch! We've only taught them twice so far, but they understand everything very very clearly, and they both like reading, which is great!

I realized I forgot to tell a really funny story from the other week. I was on exchanges with another elder, and we found this lady to teach, but there was no man home, so we had the lesson on her porch. As we were teaching, it started raining, luckily the patio had a cover. We kept talking, though it was raining quite heavily. Out of nowhere, this guy runs from around the corner towards the porch to get under cover. As he jumps up the stairs (he was coming in at an angle) his feet slip out from under him and he falls sideways, but then spins over really quick and jumps up and gets under the cover. I made a joke and said "Hey, you're a pretty good dancer!". He said, a bit awkwardly, "No, I do martial arts." Definitely had a laugh on that one.

 So for most of my mission, I have actually been making a conscious effort to improve my handwriting. Every day we have to do an hour of language study, sometimes I'll do reading out loud in Spanish or memorizing vocab, but I spend most of it doing exercises in a textbook they gave us at the MTC. So I figured, if I have to write all this stuff, alot of which is really pretty easy, I may as well try to improve something else while I am at it! So I'll just go nice and slow, and focus on making it look perty.

   With cooking, I tried making a split pea soup recipe my mom sent me. I was inspired to do so because a member of the english ward gave the english missionaries with whom we live two bags of tried split peas. It turned out alright. I've never really loved it, and wouldn't have thought to buy them myself, but I did like the way my mom made it, and I didn't quite duplicate it. Even though I boiled it for about an hour, the peas were still a little stiff, and it just overall didn't have the flavor. I've decided that soup-making is a whole other art in itself. I've pretty much mastered the art of pan-frying-random-stuff-and-making-it-taste-good, but with the Tony Chacheres seasoning just about anything tastes good. Potatoes, onions, any meat, and tonys, you really have to try hard to screw that one up.

 Answers to some questions my mom asked:

The work seems to have slowed down a little bit. I don't really know why, I feel like we are doing what we are supposed to, but were just not quite finding as many people as before and the people we have are just being lazy. Laziness will ruin everything. That and pride. If your lazy and proud, you're toast. That's a true principle I have learned. I feel like I get answers to my prayers. I've never really understood how or why or anything really deep about before, but I think I am slowly learning the principle. I am pretty healthy, at least trying to be. Its hard to really make yourself eat well all the time. It definitely takes learning and practice, just like anything. There seems to be an abundance of Chinese buffets here in Baton Rouge. Those are bad news for anyone who want to live healthier.

Well, Ive gotta hurry,were trying to work in a lot of things today, like having a barbecue (we have a little charcoal one on our back porch) and playing racquetball with the mission president! Wish I had practiced more at the Paxmans when I had the chance!

Love,

Elder Cardon

No comments:

Post a Comment