Oct 23, 2012

October 15--tabasco week.

Well, this was a pretty good week!
 
Again, I come to the library to tell you about all the cool things and stories, and then I sit down and my mind goes blank. Well, lets start with last p-day. I dont tell a whole lot of p-day stories, because we always do email first thing, so the rest of the day is the last thing in my memory from the week. Well, last week was definitely memorable, we went to Avery Island, the birthplace and only manufacturing place of tabasco sauce!! It was pretty cool. They talked about the history of it, the long-running family tradition, and the process of making it. they produce 700,000 bottles of tabasco sauce. A day. Its not really technically and island. There is a river, and the river splits itself around a mountain. Well, a hill, really, and probably (not joking) the only hill I've seen my whole mission. Louisiana is just a pancake. So the bridge isnt long, but I guess, by all technicalities, its an island. I sent a box with some overpriced souveniers home, did you get it yet?
 
We had a great increase in faith with Rafael and Virginia, they have desires to be baptized, but are just letting a few things get in the way. We are working with them, and should make some good progress with them soon. Other than that... thats about it. We helped someone in the ward move. Is that exciting? I dont know what else will spark interest in a routine email list, but, if you want, you can send questions, like my grandma did! so heres some answers:
 
 
How many missionaries do you share the apartment with?
Well, right here its just us two. In some areas its four, but I guess they try to avoid that for some reason.
Have your tried out your Mexican Cooking Skills on your new companions yet?
Well, to say it Louisiana style, I've been being doing that! It really is insanely cheaper to cook for yourself, and it turns out just the way you want it, every time!
Do you drive a car now that you are a zone leader?
Well, yes, but leadership callings arent always the reason you have a car, it depends more on the area. There are plenty of district leaders on bikes, and plenty of normal elders in cars. But all the zone leaders do have cars, because we have to go reeeeally far for exchanges and stuff sometimes. But, we still have mile limitations, so its not a free-for-all.
How big is the city of Lafayette?
Well, I couldnt give a population number, but its a little smaller that Baton Rouge. The hispanics are a little more spread out here, so we kind of have to go "hunting" for them, but we know a few good spots, and we stay pretty busy.
Where is it in the state, in elation to Baton Rouge and New Orleans?
New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette are almost equal distances apart (about 80 miles) on a roughly east to west plane. so lafayette is closer to the center of the state.
Is it as hot there?
Well, it hasnt been as hot, because we are getting in to fall, but I think it gets just about as hot here as anywhere else. Although on conference weekend we had a cold front, and I wore a sweater to general conference!'
So there it is. Write me soon!
 
Love,
Elder Cardon

No comments:

Post a Comment