Oct 23, 2012

September 17-- New Area!

Well, this was a pretty great week!

We have started off well here in Lafayette, and have already had some great lessons with the people we are teaching. We have some awesome families, and had some great increases in faith in them. We stay pretty busy, which is great. One thing I have resolved to do better this week and the rest of my mission is to write stuff down during the day that I want to share in my weekly email. Because I know I have some stories that would at least be somewhat interesting to you, but whenever I get here to the computer, they seem to disappear.

We had a great lesson with two families, we got them together and had a mini Family Home Evening, and it went great. I've come to realize even more that FHE is such an inspired program! I'm so glad my parents were so diligent in it, it really was one of the most influential factors of my spiritual growth. Its cool how something so simple like singing a song and sharing a lesson and watching a video and eating dinner could be so powerful- but it totally is! We had a lesson about Faith, and we used the one of the new Bible Videos on the Church website, (has everybody seen those? go watch them!) where Jesus raises Jarius's daughter. All of those videos are very well done. Afterwards we had a great discussion of how they exercise faith in their lives, and they really enjoyed it.

This weekend we went out to LaPlace again, to help more with the areas that were flooded. We had some cool experiences, except that in one house we did they literally had not started at all- that means that for two weeks, everything in there had been molding and rotting, and oh my, it smelled terrible. Just worst than anything you can imagine, especially back in the closet that had no ventilation and was still full of moldy clothes, yikes. Yikes yikes yikes. I couldn't even stay in there for any extended period of time. The two sisters we were working with deserve a metal of honor for working in there with the homeowner to get all the clothes out. It smelled like a combination of rotten eggs and sewage and- well, ok I'll stop there, I think you get the idea.

But besides the nastiness, its really great to see how much peoples hearts soften upon being served in such a hard time of trial. I heard that after Katrina the baptisms in this mission just exploded, and they are expecting the same in some of the areas, they actually just put another set of elders in that city to help teach all the people who we helped.

I know I say this most weeks, but next week- I promise, a longer update. Ok? But that is of course contingent on how many emails and letters I get. I have to know these are being read and enjoyed, not that I'm preaching to a unresponding crowd! :)

-Elder Cardon

P.S. New area means new address! Send lots of letters!

Elder Cam Cardon
100 S Meyers Dr #1201
Lafayette,LA, 70508
 
 
(NOTE: Because Cam got transferred on October 22, this address might not be applicable anymore)

No comments:

Post a Comment