Jan 8, 2012

DAY 384: DECEMBER 19

Well Merry Christmas from Louisiana!


This week was pretty good, we had five people at church with us, everyone from last week minus Benicio. The classes were great, I think a few of them might have been just a bit confused, the lesson in priesthood was about exaltation, how we get to it, and what it means. We talked about temple marriage, and Rolando asked the question "So my girlfriend is Buddhist. How would that work for us to be married in the temple?" A member answered it clearly and simply, and afterward I asked him "Rolando, I thought you were married?" He said "yea, I am." I said "so your wife is buddhist?" and he said "No, I was just asking the question out of curiousity". Huh. Interesting way to find out. We got a ride to church with a member, and he took Martin, a recent convert, and 2 of his roomates, JuanCarlos and Juan. Afterwards when we dropped them off, they invited us in for lunch. JuanCarlos made us a smoothie, and it was pretty good, though the combination of ingridients I never would have guessed: Bannana, strawberries, milk, sugar (so far normal stuff) chocalate milk powder (pretty normal, but a little weird) animal crackers (pretty weird) and 2 raw eggs (what!?). But, we each drank a big glass of it, and it was great! After that we had some tacos, and ended up pretty full.


This week we had the first week of starting up a soccer night, which we will start having on a regular basis. We did it on Tuesday, and we ended up having about 12 people there! investigators, members, and less actives! It was pretty fun. But in the middle of it a guy called us and asked us to come to the hospital with us and translate for them, so we went and did that. His wife was about 3 months pregnant, and was having alot of pain and they went to the emergency room. We helped them with their initial assesment thing, and helped answer a bunch of kind of awkward questions, but after that they said it would be a wait of at least and hour or two, and it was almost 9, so we had to go. But we followed up the next day and they said it all went well, and she would be alright.


On Wednesday, we had our missionary christmas program, which was pretty fun. We all got together at the stake center, and we did basically a nativity scene, with president and sister Wall narrating, and the different characters. One of the little scenes was samuel the lamanite, an Elder named Elder Anderson came out and gave a little speech calling to repentance, and after that I played and sang "Samuel tells of the baby Jesus" I think it went pretty well, I do have a video, its on the camera of one of the missionaries I live with, so we'll have to get that sent later. Also, on Friday, we had our ward christmas party, it went really well! We had several investigators there, a couple of less actives, and the part member family the Galeas (I think I've mentioned them before) We had some great food, the missionaries sang a song, and we had a pinata! I have the cutest video, but its too big to attach here. I'll get a link for it in a second.


Friday morning, during language study, the phone rang. The area code was 425, and I was a little confused about who would be calling from home! I answered it, and it was Bishop Gordon! He said I was in trouble. Worried he had found the watermelon I left in their attic before I left, I asked why. He said "Because I'm in Louisiana looking for you and I cant find you". (Sigh of relief). Turns out him and the family were there to go on a cruise that left from New Orleans, and they were there for a few days. They took us out to lunch at a place called Cane's, a tasty fried chicken restaurant, and got to sit and talk with them for about an hour. It was so great to see some people from home, and see my friend Stephanie, who just got back from her mission! Attached is a picture of us!


So, those were basically the highlights of our week. Christmas is coming! We have two dinner appointments for christmas day. We will be very, very full of delicious food. We will be allowed to skype, and it will probably be between noon and 2ish in our time, so 10 and 12 in yours. Is that when you have church? if so we can probably move it. Let me know! Christmas eve I think we are going caroling, though I have some doubts on the musical talent of several of the missionaries in the area. But, its about the spirit it brings, right?


Love you all, write back soon!


-Elder Cardon


P.S. The pictures!


1. Me and the Gordons at Cane's!

2. The coolest looking cake ever! Look closely at the texture!

3. A shot of everyone at the party. The food was great! This was early on, alot more people showed!



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment