Dec 7, 2010

DAY 7: Still teenagers, despite the "Elder"

Dear Family:
    Well, its been a great week at the MTC, I hope you got the letter I sent. I can already tell my spanish is improving alot and I am having a great time! I am in a trio instead of a companionship and I have two awesome companions. There names are Elder Shaver and Elder Corradi. They are both going to Malega, Spain. Elder Shaver is from Arizona, and he also plays guitar and piano and does music recording stuff. He is a funny guy and we get along well. Elder Corradi is from France. Like no joke, this is his first time in the U.S. His english is alright, but betwen english and what spanish he knows as well, we can come to an understanding. Occasionally he will ask us what a word is. The other day he took out his camera and said "what you call this in english?" We told him "pillow". He spent the rest of the next day and a half thinking it was a pillow and us telling him to make sure to bring his pillow to the temple walk on Sunday. We tried to get the Hermana in our district to go along with it, but of course being a girl and having low tolerance for those types of jokes, she told him. Now whenever he doesnt know what a word is we tell him its a pillow. It always brings a good laugh.
     After the second day our teachers were talking to us almost completely in spanish, because we are in the intermediate level. I understand alot more than I speak, but I am improving alot. Its mostly the quick conjugations that I had trouble with before, but I am getting alot faster at that now. Its really intense to be in class and studying for so long each day, the first two days I wondered how I was going to do this for 9 weeks, but el tiempo empiezo a volando despues de two days. That was a bit of "spanglish", which is the language we speak in our district. Essentially you just go back and forth to whichever language is easier, or has a shorter word or a simpler conjugation, just whenever you feel like it. It's pretty fun. My district is really small, it consists of us 3 elders and one solo sister, who is in a trio as well, but her companions are in a lower level class, because she already spoke some spanish. She actually speaks some french as well, and is able to help Elder Corradi when he doesnt know some words. Her name is Hermana Wirth, she is from Pennsylvania.  
     As you can also imagine, there is an awesome spirit here. We got to attend the temple this morning (on our preparation day). It really doesn't even feel tiring to read the scriptures and study Preach My Gospel for so many hours on end. My companions and I all had similar feelings at the beginning, like feeling completely dead at the end of the day and being a little frustrated with spanish, but after not that long it starts to get mas facil. I enjoyed getting the letter from dearelder.com, that definitely works alot better, because if its done before 4pm it is delivered same day! And its free! Well thats about it, not really sure what else to write about. I already kind of feel like I'm living in a bubble, like when our teachers talk about watching football over the weekend or going to a movie I almost start to think "Elder, you're not supposed to do that!" but then I remember they live in the real world. :p
     Anyways, I would love love LOVE to hear from any of you, either via a letter or via dearelder.com, its always a nice thing to have a letter. Until next week, Adios!
-Elder Cardon

No comments:

Post a Comment