Jul 6, 2011

DAY 184: June 1

Well Hey Everyone!

    We couldnt write on Monday because of memorial day, and we couldn't write on Tuesday because in the library we email at there was "air conditioning repair". So here we are on Wednesday. This has been a pretty good week, we had the baptism of Salvador and Alison on Saturday, which was so great to see. Its been a long process with them, but, the spirit can do amazing things. I got the package you sent the other day, thanks alot! Its always exciting to get something in the mail. We havent had any music to listen to for awhile, so its nice to have that again. And of course, thank you very much for the pictures of Daniel and the snacks!

  Well, we don't have a ton of time today, but I'll tell you a story about someone who hadn't heard about the church. Most people have at least some knowledge, usually a misconception or two, about the church, if anything. We were knocking in an apartment complex and this big black guy answered, and introduced himself as Pastor Jones. We asked what church we were from, and after I answered he kind of smiled and said "you dont wanna mess around with me." I asked why not. He said "I dont like the way you interpret the book of revelation- that only 144,000 people will be saved" And we said "well... we dont..." and after a few other things we figured out he was mistaking us for another church that sends missionaries in a similar fashion. He said he was busy preparing his sermon for his next meeting, that he was really busy. Then he said "well, why dont you come in, let me show you my desk." We went back, and he had a little office with a bunch of bibles, and his theolegy degrees on the wall. He said "as you can see, I have many degrees in theology and Pastoral administration". He showed us his greek and hebrew bible, which he could read. We talked a little about what his next sermon was going to be, and got talking about God calling a modern prophet. I tried to explain the book of mormon as well, and he just wouldnt have it. He said "why you tryin to change Gods word? Why does this Jim Smith guy need another book?" And as soon as we tried to say christ came to the americas, he said " Alright, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." Maybe the truth made him upset. I really wish we had an english book of mormon or pamphlet or something to give him, but, well see.

I really am out of time now, so heres a few pictures from the baptism, and I'll talk to you all later!

-Elder Cardon

P.S. I think I told ellyn... I think china sounds like a great idea! Im just jealous that I cant come!
P.P.S. I'm at least sort of getting along with my companion... Its not that bad, but I'd be alright to change it up at transfers :P

No comments:

Post a Comment