May 6, 2012

DAY 468: MARCH 12


  Well, this was a pretty good week. We had some rough days with no lessons, those are always a bummer. To look back and see that you did a whole bunch of knocking and looking for people, but nobody was home or nobody let you in. But, you still went out and did it, so you have to praise yourself for that, right?  We had a good lesson with our investigator Yolanda, she is trying to quit smoking, and luckily she has her family on her side. Shes the only one that smokes, and they all want her to quit, and we want her to quit, and the Lord wants her to quit. And she wants to quit too, so I think she'll be able to do it!



   We found a few new investigators this week, one is a little family named Yadira and Seraphin. We went to go visit a former investigator, and when we knocked on their door, someone completely different answered. We asked for the people we were looking for and she didnt know them, and it turns out they just moved in a few weeks ago. So we talked with them and were able to have a short lesson with them, just kind of talked about prophets and a little about Christs ministry.  Shes about 21 and has a little baby, and I was thinking the guy looked just a little old to be with her, but then thought, well, true love will take off a few years, right? Then it turns out shes her dad. Alright then. Less weird. We asked about her religious background and she said shes catholic and she believes in the saints and the Virgin Mary. We asked about Christ and she said "Oh yeah, him too." We asked why she believes in the Virgin Mary and she said, "well, because she appears to people" and told us a few stories about her appearing in the side of a tree or in other places to guide people. Allllright then. We were able to have another lesson with them and really testified and explained well about the atonement of Christ. I love using the scripture Alma 7:11-12 for the atonement, to explain that while it is a sacrifice for our sins, its a sacrifice for more than just that- for our pains, sicknesses and infirmities. And I love the last line in 12 of "that he may know how to succor his people." Because, he does! Thats why we turn to him. Because hes the one who knows how we feel, and what we are going to. I always like to give little examples to illustrate, so I gave one that was relevant to her with her little baby. I said when my sister had a baby, my mom came and helped her for the first week or so. This is because she had gone through that same experience, and knew how to succor her and give her the help she needed. When we feel like we dont know what to do, we can go to Christ, because he has felt the exact same thing we have felt.



  So my mom sent me a list of random words with which I am supposed to tell stories or experiences. I dont have time for them all, but heres a few.



Burrito- Taco bell has a new one, called the beefy crunch burrito. Pure crunchy, chemical-filled fast food goodness.



Lessons- I fell like though we arent teaching  a ton of lessons quantity-wise, our quality is really improving. We have been focusing on our questions and pausing and really listening, both to them and to the spirit. It can sometimes feel awkward to have silence, but it really can be a powerful tool if used right.



Black guy- So we were coming out of a lesson with someone, and as we were getting into our car, a guy from the neighboring building came out and called us over. He asked us if we could get him some food, because he hadnt eaten in two days. I felt kind of bad for him, and felt like I could spare a little on a dollar burger, so I said we could. He said "OK, lets go" and started to walk towards our car. In case you didnt know, in mission vehicles, only other missionaries can go in them, the only exception is members, to and from a teaching appointment. He didn't fall into either category, so we had to say no nicely, which is a skill I feel I've developed well after holding a few customer service jobs. He said "Pleeeaaaase?? Ive been home all day, I just want to get out of the house." I said if it were my car, I would, but its not mine, so I cant say yes. (not sure how true the first part of that statement was.) So he said "ok, just give me 5 bucks and I'll take the bus into town". I suggested we'd just go grab him something. A couple of cheeseburgers from Jack in the Box, and done. He asked us if we could say a prayer with him, and leave him with something to read. We were of course happy to do so. He had a little hospital wristband on, and asked if he had been to the hospital, he said he had been hearing voices in his head. Alright then.



Bike- So Ive been in the same area for 5 transfers now. Thats kind of alot, ask any missionary. We've been lucky to have had a car the whole time. We went mountain biking again last Monday, it was a blast, as always. All 4 of us wanted to go, but our bike rack only has 3 spots, so we took the tires off of one and fit it in the trunk, loaded the other three on, and went up and had a blast! Elder Hernandez ran into four trees.



Baton Rouge- One thing I may have mentioned before is that Baton Rouge has a little more of the stereotypical southern feel, that includes the language. People really do use "alright" as a greeting. People really do called children "Churn". No joke. We walked by some black guys in front of their house and we just waved and said "Alright!" and they said "Alright!"



Well, thats all the words for which I had stories, but if anyone else has some words to submit, I'll do what I can to work them in. We went and played Racquetball with president this morning, it was a blast, as usual! We now owe the mission president and the stake president breakfast. Dang.


No comments:

Post a Comment