May 6, 2012

DAY 517: APRIL 30


Well, this week went pretty well. We had some cool experiences and miracles, and we got someone at church! Finally! I'll tell a few stories:



  We were outside in this apartment complex which we visit frequently, talking to someone, and this guy drove by and said "Hey, go over to apartment 110!". So we finished up talking to the person and then went over there. It was a family that used to live in Florida, and their parents divorced and the dad moved here with the kids. He's pentecostal, and told us several times he "only believes in Jesus" and hasnt been bringing the kids to church. The mom found out, and came over here to fix things up. So she was there and super excited to see us, we shared a message and got to know them a little. We came back two days later with the Powells, our wonderful senior couple, and visited them again. This time, their dad was there, and kept jumping into our discussion, primarily to try to disrupt it, usually followed by all the kids rolling their eyes or one of them leaving the room. One of the big things about his church is that they believe people need to be baptized in the name of Christ, not in the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. So he brought that up, and I gave a simple answer, and being that he just wanted to disrupt or show that he knows more about the scriptures than us (yeah right) he kept trying to pull out other stuff about it. So I stopped him for a second and said "So I just barely answered your question, did I not explain myself very well?" and a minute later the mom jumped in and said what I actually wanted to say and said "Look, the Elders are here to teach us because we want to listen. You met the Elders in Florida and asked them all these questions already, what are you doing?" and I'm like, NICE. That calmed him down for a little bit, but then he kept trying to pull random stuff about we should only listen to certain types of music, that dancing is bad (whipped out Psalm 150 on him for that one) and for some reason tried to throw in the Ark of the Covenant and what we think it means. Overall, it was a good lesson, but the Powells told us afterward that the presence of the spirit when we were teaching and reading from The Book of Mormon and the absence when he tried to talk was blatant.



  Last Saturday, we had a day of service for the stake. We went to a city called port allen, just on the other side of the river, and helped do some landscaping and painting and other stuff. We got assigned to a crew painting a gymnasium. Mostly the ceiling. So we got to spend a fair amount of time in a manlift, that was fun. I dont think theres anything about manlifts in the white handbook. I got paint all over myself. Loved it, though. Last week on p-day we went to the park and played wiffleball, it was really fun. I also flew that kite you sent me for christmas, where its a ton of little kites on one long string. It got tangled really quick, and I'm deciding if its worth it to untangle it. Probably not.



  I got to play some more music with Roberto, the Brazilian guy (hes getting baptized this weekend!) and it was pretty fun. He bought some recording software and asked me to help him get it setup. Always one thing or another that gives you problems with that stuff, but, we still had some fun. I've realized I'm not quite as sharp musically as I used to be. We tried to play a few songs together, and I just feel a little out of practice. But I'm sure I'll get it all back after I get home.



Other exciting news, I got accepted to BYU-Idaho! I dont know my track yet, but there it is!



-Cam

No comments:

Post a Comment