May 6, 2012

DAY 496: APRIL 9


Hey Everyone!

 

   Well, because last weeks was so short, I wanted to try real hard and make this one a nice long update. With pictures to follow!



  Like I've mentioned in the previous weeks, we are for one reason or another facing a boatload of opposition in this work. Well, the reason is because satan is mad that the church is true, so will do whatever do stop us. That's the reason, but for whatever reason it seems to be stronger than normal. Just alot of people getting anti-ed by their friends, people running away from us, or being visited by the Jehovah's Witnesses just hours after us. But, in every wind of opposition, there are a host of blessings and miracles that come with it. Let me share a few stories.



   One of investigators is named Francisca. She is the mother of Briseyda, who just got baptized a few months ago. We have taught her for awhile as well, and she has come to church just a few times. Shes told us before that the JWs come by every once in awhile, but we weren't really sure how often.  We visited her the other day, and she had some JW literature on the table, and she asked us what something meant or why they talked about this or that, and we of course didn't have a lot of answers. Mixed in with that she had one of the pamphlets we had given her, so we said, "Why dont you just read that instead."  We came back the next day with the Powells, and had another lesson with her. She told us the JWs had been there just that morning. At the end of the lesson, she said "I like the way you guys teach alot better than they do. I like that you always start with a prayer, and when you teach, I really feel like you pay attention to me and care about me." We had brought her a copy of this months liahona, and she said "Oh great, I threw away the JW stuff so I haven't had anything to read." Punto para la iglesia verdadera!



   You know how you hear jokes about how the missionaries come into a neighborhood and everyone who is outside runs into their house? That actually happened.



   Another one is a lady named Luz Maria, we met her at a store awhile ago, and have taught her two or three times. We went by the other night and she told us "Sorry guys, I cant meet with you anymore. My sister told me some stuff about your church that I don't like."  And then gave us some junk about Joseph Smith was this and the Book of Mormon isn't true and bla bla. Though I was really down about all the people shanking us, I said to myself "Nice try satan, but you're not getting this one." So we asked her to at least let us sit down and talk for a little bit. We of course started with a prayer, and told her the things she heard weren't true. We gave the example of a stream coming from a mountain. When you get it at the source, its clean and pure and is exactly what it is. But down further out, its got mud and junk and other stuff in it. We basically said your sister heard stuff about our church that had been polluted and twisted, but if she would listen to us, she could get the real deal. It made me think of that story in conference, about the priest that told a family their child who recently died was going to burn forever because they didn't baptize him and its their fault. But, he of course wasn't mad at him, because thats all he knew. We explained that we weren't mad at her sister, that's all she knows. The only water from the stream of the church came from down the mountain with the mud in it. But now we had the chance to tell her the real deal. We suggested that we read a little bit from the Book of Mormon. She said she threw hers away after what her sister told her. We sat the for a minute with our jaws dropped, then she said "But do you have another one?". We said "alright, lets read a few scriptures, and you can tell us if you think this book is evil" We read 2 Nephi 25:26, Moroni 10:33-34, and a few others, and needless to say, at the end of the lesson she asked "When are you coming back?"



   So last week we played kickball on p-day in the rain. It was a blast. We got super muddy, but luckily nobody got sick. Heres some pictures of us afterward.  I also got 2 sweet jerseys from a little Hispanic store, one says Mexico, one Honduras.



  Having been a long-time taco master, I've cut up alot of onions. Hundreds, perhaps thousands. And last week, for the first time in my life, I cut my finger while cutting an onion. Dang it. 



Well, the time has got me, so I'll get you another one next week! Loves yall!



-Elder Cardon



No comments:

Post a Comment