Dec 4, 2011

DAY 300: SEPTEMBER 26

Hello! China sure sounds like fun! Wish I could be there! Me and somebody in the family are going back when I get home. I have some big travel plans for when I get back! Yes, I have recieved a bunch of dearelder letters from you! Most of them were emails I had already read, but now that they are coming I guess I dont have to read the super long emails here at the library. We had a pretty cool week, I guess fairly average, but I know you all dont like when I just say "it was normal" so I'll try to think of a few stories.

Since Elder Taylor and Freestone left, there was no english missionaries in the area, but they just got two in there. So one of them was with us for 4 days, and then his companion came. While we were in the trio we went to go visit a few of the english investigators he had, and we visited this super cool guy named Bo. He saw a commercial about the church, visited the website, wanted to learn more, so requestied misionaries, then downloaded the scriptures on his Ipad. He read most of the BOM, prayed about it, and has no doubt that it is divine scripture. He then bought himself a quad, has read the entire BOM and Pearl of Great Price, and most of the Doctrine and convenants. He also got a subscription to the ensign and the friend and the living scriptures cartoon movies for his little daughter to watch. He's supposed to be baptized in two weeks. Talk about golden!

 
But, our investigators are cooler. Cruz is doing pretty well, I really hope he will get baptized on the 8th. Raul is also progressing nicely, he is a really intelligent guy, and understands the gospel pretty well, but still hasnt recieved that spiritual confirmation. This last weekend we went on exchanges. I went up to North Baton Rouge with Elder Christensen, who I was with down in metarie a few transfers ago. Last time we didnt get along super well, but the whole two days we were together we got along really well, and were able to do some good work. We also had a fun super deep doctrine discussion with the other missionaries in that apartment, which somehow just got us all more confused about the resurection and the millenium. There is alot of doctrine of the church that is hard to understand, but when it all comes down to it, there is only one doctrine that matters: The atonement.

 
So the spanish unit here is just a branch, definitely less people than in New Orleans, but still plenty of strong members. We have been doing alot of less active and recent convert work here, to keep hold of the work already done. It certainly isnt easy, this whole missionary work thing. It seems like there is just a whole lot of opposition, satan is pretty darn mad that all these people are finding the truth. Anyways, on sunday, they had two people from the stake come to speak, and I ended up translating. Basically I just stood at the pulpit with them and repeated what they said sentence by sentence in spanish. It was a little easier than how they did in New Orleans, where you literally have to listen, translate in your head and repeat it all at the same, but it still is a humbling experience when you think you are getting good with the language.

 
I do miss being on the bike, unfortunately, being in a car and not eating very well has put on all the weight I lost being on the bike! Bummer! But, today when we go shopping I'll buy lots of healthy food. Oops I already used all my money for the month on Chinese buffets. Ah well. Although, when we do go out to chinese places I have something to talk about with the chinese people! My family lives in China! How cool is that?

One last little story, because we gots to go. We had just a had a good lesson with cruz, he lives in kind of a sketchy neighboorhood (like all the people we teach) and there was some guys outside drinking. They asked us to come over and "teach them about the right way". we said maybe another day when they werent drunk, so the could understand. We talked to them for a little bit about where they were from and stuff. They lived right closeby, and I asked his name. He said "my name is.... uh..." then paused for a second, then turned to his friend and said "whats my name?" "Rigoberto" his friend replied. "oh yeah, my names Rigoberto"


Well, thats it, hope everyone is doing great!

Love,

Cam

 
P.S. Thanks so much for attaching those pictures! I loved them!
P.P.S. I guess I cant think of anything I want right now, but I'll let you know!
P.P.S. Tell any of those AWESOME girls that theres a missionary in Louisiana who would totally write them back if they wrote. Especially the musician one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment