Sep 9, 2011

DAY 259: August 15

Hey everyone,

Good luck with your China trip! It sounds so exciting! Wish I could go with. Can I? Its fun to hear about the adventures going on with everyone in the house. If Jason is looking for a place to live, why doesn't he just live at our house? It doesn't seem like you'll be living in it for awhile. :p And if Kya and Tosh really want, they can each have one thing from my Lego collection, or as many "things" as you deem necessary.

So a few exciting things from the week: Last night, we were on our way back, and there was totally an apartment building on fire. Its where the sisters live, but luckily there apartment was undamaged and they are fine. We have been having a few less run-ins with bible bashers and crazy guys, but we met probably one of the worst bible-bashers ever. "Worse" meaning he really had no idea what he was talking about. Some of them will pick some doctrinal point to go at that you might be able to have some discussion about, but this guy decided on probably the silliest thing ever to determine that we are in the wrong.

We stopped and talked to him on the street, and after talking for a little bit he said "You know I've studied your church, and I've figured out that you're in the wrong". So we asked what it was that he had heard that we are doing wrong. He asked us if we believed in the Virgin Mary, we explained of course we believed she was real, and God had a special role for her, but we dont pray to her or worship her, thats silly. He kept beating around the bush saying "you guys are in the wrong" and told us he had studied the bible more so he knows more than us, we said "you still havent told us anything were doing wrong..." He finally asks "do you have a band in your church?" we answered no, but explained about hymns and how we worship. So he decided to go at that. That was his whole basis of why we aren't the true church. He showed us some scripture in Hebrews about singing praises to God, and praising his name. We explained that through the Hymns, we do that. He was insistent that you had to have a guitar and drums and everything to praise the lord. So I asked him if that's how Christ and his apostles did it, Peter on guitar, James on drums, and John on bass? Any one? He than said that my companion said that we dont worship Christ, which he clearly never said. He said "no, you did", E. Rawlings said, "No, I didn't" and I said "No, he didn't" and that went on for a bit, and I decided this guy was too dumb to be worth talking to, so I just stood up and said lets go. We told him to have a great day, and he kept following us. I was walking a little ahead, and he was following my companion, and he said " Maybe we dont have a band, but does your church have a living prophet and twelve apostles? and a quorum of seventy?" the guy was silent for just a second, clearly feeling dumb, and came back with "well, Christ had twelve apostles, and you just said you only had 11!" We corrected him quickly. He then said "Did you know that Christ called a quorom of seventy?" and I said "Yeah, we have one too" and he laughed "After I mentioned it to you, all the sudden you have one!" I tell you, had there not been other people around on that street, that guy would have gotten a square punch to the face.

Well, writing that took a significant portion of my email time, so I'll probably have to wrap it up. But, I'll be sure to come up with something exciting for next week about "an average missionary day"

Love,
Elder Cardon

No comments:

Post a Comment